SVA badge

General Service Medal with 'Canal Zone' clasp.

Also details of

 Veterans' Lapel Badge and Service Records

NGSM 1915-62 NGSM       GSM GSM 1918-62

On 11th June 2003 the Prime Minister announced in the House of Commons that the Naval General Service Medal 1915-62 and the
General Service Medal 1918-62 with ‘Canal Zone’ clasp was to be awarded to those who had served in the
Suez Canal Zone of Egypt during the period 16th October 1951 to 19th October 1954.

The qualification criteria for the Suez Canal Zone GSM, (or Clasp), is to have served for a minimum of 30 consecutive days within the
Canal Zone during the period 16 October 1951 to 19 October 1954 and the following personnel are eligible:

Members of the Armed Forces based in the Suez Canal Zone at that time;

Accompanying civilians who wore the appropriate uniform of their organisation;

Commonwealth and Colonial Forces, subject to approval by their government;

Foreign Nationals enlisted with any of the above categories.

Veterans of the Canal Zone, or the next-of-kin of those who have died, should apply in writing to the MoD Medal Office, giving
Full Name, Date of Birth and Service Number.  Next of kin will be required to supply supporting documentation.
As with the initial issue of all other British campaign awards there will be no charge for the medal.

The address for all applications is:

  Service Personnel and Veterans Agency
Ministry of Defence Medal Office
Innsworth House
Imjin Barracks

[email protected]
Fax:  0141 224 3586
Free Phone:  0800 085 3600
Overseas Civ:  +44 (0) 141 224 3600

The following information, (or as much as possible) will be required:
Service Number - Regiment/Corps (Army and RM), Branch/Trade (RAF and RN) - Full Name - Date of Birth
Rank and Date of Discharge, plus, of course, your current name and address.

Although the reigning monarch changed during the Suez campaign, Queen Elizabeth II appears on all the GSMs issued for the
Canal Zone because it was Queen Elizabeth that approved award of the Clasp to the GSM 'Canal Zone'.

There is often a lot of discussion on how, when, where and which medals to wear.
Quite some time ago our late colleague, 'Sapper' Dave Hickman, wrote to Col. Ashley Tinson (Rtd), the Medals Consultant for the
Royal British Legion.  Here is a copy of  the Colonel's reply.

Dear Mr Hickman
Whether in uniform or civilians it is normal to wear medals at Remembrance and other parades linked to Military Service.
In uniform they are worn normally above the left pocket.  If any type of top coat is worn they are not displayed.
In civilian clothes they are worn in a similar place to that for uniform and in this case if an overcoat or mac is worn, they may be worn on it.
Unofficial medals may not be worn in uniform and should not be worn in civilian clothes.  However, if they are worn they must not be put on the official bar and are usually worn well down the left side under Official Medals.
I assume you know the order of wear; it is basically Campaign Medals in order of date of participation, Golden Jubilee Medal, Accumulated Campaign Service Medal, then Long Service and Good Conduct Medal.

Ashley R Tinson.
Honorary Medals Consultant to the Royal British Legion.

Veterans Lapel Badge

Vets badge

All those who have served in HM Armed Forces, including the Volunteers and Regular Reserves are eligible to apply.

Click on one of these links below to access and download the application form.
Acrobat Reader Version   --   Microsoft Word Version   --   Rich Text Format (.rtf)

You may post or fax your completed form to the Service Personnel and Veterans Agency.
 Or you may call the Freephone number to apply.
If you use the Freephone method, please ensure you have to hand all the details asked for on the application form.

Postal address:

The MoD Medal Office
Innsworth House
Imjin Barracks

Freephone Helpline

Free: 0800 169 2277 (UK only)
Free: 0800 169 3458 (Minicom UK only)
+44 1253 866043 (Overseas)

Fax: 01452 510871 (UK only)

+44 1452 510871 (Overseas)

Email: [email protected]

Addresses for Service Records

RN Disclosure Cell
Mail Point G2, Room 48
West Battery
Whale Island
Portsmouth  PO2 8DX
Army Personnel Centre  Secretariat
Disclosures 2, Mailpoint 515
Kentigern House
65 Brown Street
Glasgow  G2 8EX
RAF Disclosures
Room 220
Trenchard Hall
RAF Cranwell
Lincolnshire  NG34 0HB

When applying for your own records you will need a 'Subject Access Request Form'. (DPA SAR Form 1694 (Jan 08).
This can be downloaded from the website:

If next of kin of a deceased person is applying they will need a 'Certificate of Kinship Form'.
For a copy of this, follow the link on the website:

Click HERE to go to the 'Index' page.

Webmaster:  Richard (Dick) Woolley.
e-mail:  [email protected]

Keep the flag flying.